Body of Shelby police officer shot in line of duty returns home

Image 1 of 2

Photo via Gastonia Fire Dept.

The body of a fallen Shelby police officer, killed in the line of duty, was brought home Tuesday afternoon by a processional of local law enforcement.

The southbound lanes of I-85 were temporarily shut down Tuesday for a law enforcement procession bringing fallen Shelby Police Officer Tim Brackeen back home from Charlotte, according to Gastonia PD.

Lights on police cars and officers in salute position could be seen at every bridge.

Every law enforcement agency in Gaston County assisted along with officers from Cleveland County and Mecklenburg County.

Related: Vigil held for Shelby police officer shot, killed in the line of duty

Officer Brackeen died Monday morning after being shot in the line of duty over the weekend, according to the Shelby Police Department.

Related: Shelby police officer shot in line of duty passes away

His funeral service will be held at 3 p.m. Friday, September 16, at Keeter Stadium on Dixon Boulevard in Shelby. 

On Saturday, September 10, Brackeen, 38, was in the area of Parkview Street in Shelby searching for a person wanted on outstanding warrants.

During his search, officers in the area heard gunshots and went straight to Officer Brackeen's location. Police found him suffering from a gunshot wound in his torso area.

The suspect in the case, 23-year-old Irving Lucien Fenner, Jr., was arrested Wednesday morning in Rhode Island. He was immediately taken to a hospital and treated for a gun shot wound he received in North Carolina, according to Rhode Island State Police.

Related: Man accused of killing Shelby police officer arrested in Rhode Island

Four other women were also charged for their involvement in the shooting.

Deitra Morris of Shelby, Casey Fenner of New York, and Jolisa Peeler of Rhode Island were arrested for accessory after the fact, a class C felony.

The fourth woman arrested, Ashley Hamrick, was charged with harboring a fugitive.