Carbon monoxide scare sends several to hospital

Image 1 of 2

It's a day Tray Miller won't forget anytime soon.

"If we would've stayed in there a little bit longer we would've all been dead," Miller said. 

Miller told FOX 46 Charlotte on Wednesday afternoon after high levels of carbon monoxide were found to be coming from a generator heating this home in Salisbury, Tuesday night.

RELATED: 16 people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Rowan County

The homeowner, Dennis Wilks said he's been using the generator for about a week and was at work when the generator was brought inside by someone else.

More than a dozen people were treated at a local hospital and released with symptoms in line with carbon monoxide poisoning.  According to Rowan Co. officials, some even had to be airlifted to Duke Medical Center for further treatment. 

"I'm very distraught. My grandkids were in there. I don't want anything happening to my grandkids," Wilks said.