Case of bacterial meningitis confirmed at South Stanly High School

A case of bacterial meningitis has been confirmed at a high school in Stanly. School officials say a student at the high school died, but would not confirm that it was due to meningitis. 

South Stanly High School sent a message home to parents Tuesday regarding the case. They say no preventative measures need to be taken, but they are distributing information on the illness. 

Meningitis is the inflammation of the membranes surrounding your brain and spinal cord.

Bacterial meningitis is spread from person to person. Symptoms often include sudden onset of fever, headache, and stiff neck, as well as nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and confusion, according to the CDC

South Stanly High School officials do not believe there is an ongoing risk, but encourage parents to be aware of the signs and symptoms.