CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - Out of concern for the health and well-being of their patients, Novant Health and Atrium Health are asking folks to keep visitors age 12 and under out of all acute care facilities due to the widespread outbreak of the flu virus throughout the community.
These restrictions are effective beginning Friday, Feb. 8, at 7 a.m. until further notice.
Individuals age 13 and over who are experiencing runny nose, sore throat, fever or cough are also encouraged not to visit patients being treated at Novant Health and Atrium Health facilities.
However, people who are seeking treatment at hospitals are not subject to the restriction.
Doctors from Atrium Health tell FOX 46 Charlotte the number of flu cases has doubled in the past few weeks.
“We monitor closely the rates of incline of influenza and when it gets to a certain level at any of our facilities we go ahead and put in protective measures," said Medical Director of Infection Prevention at Atrium Health, Dr. Katie Passaretti.
Doctors say the flu vaccine is still available, but caution everyone that it takes about two weeks to fully work into your system.
The restrictions apply to the following hospitals in the Novant Health system:
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
- Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
- Novant Health Medical Park Hospital
- Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
- Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Prince William Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Haymarket Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Culpeper Medical Center
The restrictions apply to the following hospitals in the Atrium Health system:
- Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center
- Atrium Health’s Levine Children’s Hospital
- Atrium Health’s Levine Cancer Institute
- Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy
- Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast
- Atrium Health Pineville
- Atrium Health Union
- Atrium Health University City
- Atrium Health Lincoln
- Atrium Health Cleveland
- Atrium Health Kings Mountain
- Atrium Health Anson
- Carolinas HealthCare System Blue Ridge
- Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Charlotte
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Davidson
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Charlotte
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-NorthEast
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Mt. Holly
- Atrium Health Pineville Rehabilitation Hospital.
All visitors to any of these facilities should properly disinfect their hands by washing with soap and water or using sanitizing gel when entering and leaving the facilities in order to prevent the spread of the flu virus, hospital officials said.