CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Effective at 7 a.m. Friday, area hospitals will be restricting access for visitors 12-years-old and under due to the growing prevalence of flu cases in the region.
Carolinas HealthCare System says they're joining Novant Health, Cone Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health in implementing the restrictions at the same date and time to prevent confusion among the public and to avoid a patchwork of varying restrictions. They say the unified response will help better control the spread of flu throughout the region.
Carolinas HealthCare System Hospitals affected:
- Carolinas Medical Center
- Levine Children’s Hospital
- Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy
- Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast
- Carolinas HealthCare System Pineville
- Carolinas HealthCare System Union
- Carolinas HealthCare System University
- Carolinas HealthCare System Lincoln
- Carolinas HealthCare System Cleveland
- Carolinas HealthCare System Kings Mountain
- Carolinas HealthCare System Blue Ridge
- Carolinas HealthCare System Stanly
- Carolinas HealthCare System Anson
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Charlotte
- Carolinas HealthCare System Behavioral Health-Davidson
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Charlotte
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-NorthEast
- Carolinas Rehabilitation-Mt. Holly
- Pineville Inpatient Rehabilitation.
Carolinas HealthCare System is also asking individuals of all ages who are experiencing flu-like symptoms to help control the spread of the illness by not visiting patients in the hospital.
Novant Health System Hospitals affected:
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
- Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
- Novant Health Medical Park Hospital
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
- Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Prince William Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Haymarket Medical Center
Symptoms include: fever, headaches/body aches/pain, cough or sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, chills, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.
If extraordinary circumstances require an individual with flu-like symptoms to visit a hospital patient, the visitor will be asked to wear a surgical mask to protect themselves and others.