CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Thick smoke poured out of a home on Penninger Circle in north charlotte as crews worked to get a fire under control.
"No injuries reported to humans or animals at this point."
The homeowner didn't speak on camera but told FOX 46 Charlotte that the fire started around 4:00 p.m. while she was out walking her dog. A neighbor saw the flames and ran to help.
"I just come back from the store, I'd went down there to get some steaks and stuff and I come out the door and seen that the house was on fire. I went down there to make sure they was okay and everybody was out and then I called 911,” the neighbor said.
A car in the garage also caught fire. The hazmat team was called in to make sure the fuel didn't leak. Fire investigators haven't pinpointed where the fire started. The homeowner says she thinks it started in the basement.
"It was flames coming out close to the garage."
Charlotte Fire Department Battalion Chief Rob Cannon issued a warning as temperatures continue to drop.
"Don't heat your home with your oven. Don't heat your home with a gas grill or a charcoal grill. We've seen that in the past. Then you have not only a fire hazard but also a carbon monoxide hazard. So, this time of year there's plenty of heating hazards. We're just coming out of the holiday season and people have candles so just be careful,” he said.