CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department responded to 181 wrecks Wednesday before it even hit "rush hour" in the Queen City.
Police said the number of accidents surpassed what they typically respond to in one day.
From midnight through 9 p.m. Wednesday, officers say they responded to 201 accident, 33 of those with injuries.
"We have also had 55 road blockages and disabled vehicles reported for a total number of 256 incidents," according to a CMPD spokesperson.
CMPD said last week their department averaged 66 crashes a day between 6 a.m. and 12:59 p.m. On Wednesday, they worked more than double that, with 145 wrecks reported during that same time.
CMPD wants to pass on these winter weather driving tips:
- Don't! In severe weather, do not drive unless you absolutely must
- Make sure your vehicle is in good operating condition (i.e. fully inflated tires with good tread, all lights and wiper operating)
- Increase following distance and anticipate having to stop even if you don't expect to stop
- SLOW DOWN! Drive well below the speed limit and anticipate ice everywhere
- Do not operate cell phones or electronic deveices
- Do not drink and drive