CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - Dozens of Mecklenburg County computers and servers remained offline Monday night following a cyber attack last week, but county officials say they are slowly making progress bringing things back online.
"We are at the mercy of crooks," said County Commissioner, Vilma Leake.
The grip from last weeks cyber attack on Mecklenburg County is starting to ease. County officials said Tuesday that 17 of the 48 attacked servers are back online, but finding who took control of county computers is just beginning.
"This is a crime scene investigation," said the Mecklenburg County IT Director.
As investigators try to track down the foreign attacker, they remain adamant personal information hasn't been leaked, Mecklenburg County residents were still feeling an impact Tuesday.
Right now, taxes can't be paid online, with a deadline approaching January 5. For county employees, many internal systems remain down.
"We are not done. We have a lot of work to do. That's because prior to me becoming county manager the county was not making the investments they need to make to keep county systems secure," said County Manager, Dena Diorio.
In the past 3 years the county has invested $16 million into cyber security. It may not has stopped last week's attack, but county officials privately discussed new security measures Tuesday and they could be approved by county commissioners in the next few months.
"We really still wanna try to understand what we need to do going forward to really protect ourselves and to reduce the risk that our systems and applications are attacked again. That's what continues to go through my head and what I am thinking about," said Diorio.
The Mecklenburg County IT department says bringing servers back online isn't as easy as flipping a switch. They need to check all files to make sure they are clean to ensure another attack doesn't happen again.