Earlier this afternoon a Davidson physical plant employee was burned and transported by helicopter to Baptist Hospital burn center in Winston-Salem. The employee was repairing a steam water heater in Watts residence hall when the incident occurred.
According to a Davidson Spokesperson when the employee re-energized the water heater the relief valve popped off causing hot water and steam to run down the workers neck and back.
A fellow employee pulled his colleague away from the steam but the other employee was already injured with burns. His injuries are not life threatening.
OSHA investigators examined the site due to protocol.
The Watts residence hall repairs are done and everything is up and running.