Electrical issue to blame for 3-alarm fire at athletic facility in Cotswold

Image 1 of 5

Credit: Lauren Dugan/FOX 46 Charlotte

Crews battled a 3-alarm fire at an athletics facility in southeast Charlotte Thursday night. App users click here to see embed content.

The fire started about 6:50 p.m. at Trifecta Athletics in the 4900 block of Silabert Avenue, near Monroe and Sharon Amity roads in Cotswold. One person was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to Medic.

Charlotte Fire tweeted that all hands were working to put out the blaze.

Watching first responders do what they do best were several kids on a baseball team. They told FOX 46 Charlotte they ran out of the Trifecta Athletics building as smoke came in. 

“We all started saying 'fire.' We could smell it," said Paston Chalfant. "It started coming through the cracks and just got more violent and rushing in.”

Paston's dad, Bill, had just dropped him off at practice.

“It was pretty frightening. About 10 minutes later I got a text saying there was a fire in the building.”

Fire crews believe cardboard or tires may have caught fire. Charlotte Fire said Friday that the cause of the fire was the result of an electrical issue within an electrical distribution panel. 

The damage to the building is estimated at $589,000.