Family says heating company mistake could have killed them

FOX 46 Charlotte is getting results in what could have been more than a costly mistake by a heating and cooling company.

"My mother's life and my family's life is worth so much more," said Rita Moore-Johnson. 

On a cold evening, Moore-Johnson is hot under the collar after she said a mistake by Brothers Heating and Cooling in Rock Hill, South Carolina almost killed her family. 

"I just don't have words to describe what an imbecile that is," she said. 

To see what went wrong, FOX 46 went underneath the family's rural home in Chester County. The problem, Moore-Johnson said, began Friday when Brothers installed a natural gas heater for a home that uses propane. 

"It can't burn propane," said Moore-Johnson, of the new unit. "So the propane was coming back into the house creating...carbon monoxide."

The colorless, odorless gas can be deadly. Janie Moore, 84, was alerted to the danger thanks to a carbon monoxide detector installed by Brothers. 

"What do you think would have happened if you didn't have a carbon monoxide detector?," asked FOX 46 investigative reporter Matt Grant.

"Well," said Moore. "I guess I'd be gone."

Family members said Brothers technicians came to the home three times over the weekend. Each time, they said, it went unnoticed that the wrong unit was installed. Instead, the family said they were given the all clear to go back inside - "he told me everything was fine," said Moore-Johnson - only to have the carbon monoxide alarm go off again.

"I think they need to get on the ball and get the work done right," said Moore.

"My mother could have died," said her daughter, Moore-Johnson. "Or if someone else had been inside this house they would have perished."

"That's very scary," she continued. "And extremely serious."

Moore-Johnson said technicians seemed bothered that they were called out to work on the unit during New Year's Eve weekend. 

FOX 46 reached out to Brothers and we're getting results. 

"Obviously we made a mistake," said installation manager Ken Moore, who has no relation to the family. "Carbon monoxide was making its way into the house. The system was meant to be set up for propane and it was not. We are going to make it right."

"The system was not converted to propane," he said, without saying how the mistake occurred. 

While at the Moore's home, the family received a call from the company. A voicemail left by the company said they would refund the $4,000 cost of the unit and would arrive Tuesday morning to replace the furnace. 

The Moore's, though, are still heated.

"An apology at this point is insignificant," said Moore-Johnson. "I could have lost my mother or even more members of my family."