(FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A total of four people have now been arrested in connection to the ballot fraud investigation in the District Nine congressional election.
Within the last 24 hours, two more people have been indicted on charges stemming from the 2016 and 2018 primaries for illegally collecting absentee ballots.
Tonia Gordon and Matthew Matthis were taken into custody on Tuesday for possessing absentee ballots in Bladen County.
Just hours before, Caitlyn Croom was arrested in New Hanover county for the same thing.
According to the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations, the three of them were associated with McCrae Dowless, who was arrested last week following a hearing with the State Board of Elections.
Reports say Dowless would pay people to pick up absentee ballots from voters in Bladen County and the votes were tilted toward Republican Mark Harris.
Right now there is another person-- Rebecca Thompson-- who has been indicted, but not arrested.
MORE ON NC09:
- Dates set for NC09 special election
- Who will run in District 9? Questions raised after Harris says he won't
- Harris operative McCrae Dowless charged in NC09 congressional race
- State Board of Elections votes to hold new election in NC District 9
- Elections head says ballots handled illegally in 9th congressional district