CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - The City of Charlotte turns 250 on Monday -- and a citywide celebration called CLT250 invites residents to come together through events, gatherings and initiatives to recognize the past, understand the present and imagine a unified future.
"CLT250 is a way for all members of our community, as well as visitors, to share in and commemorate the things that make this city great," said Gene Woods, honorary chair of CLT250 and president and CEO of Atrium Health, which is the initiative's presenting sponsor. "We invite everyone to celebrate 250 years of our city's independence, ingenuity, determination, diversity, collaboration, compassion and resiliency. But even greater than that, CLT250 calls us to imagine the next 250 years and the vibrant and dynamic future in front of all who call Charlotte home."
LINK: CLT250 EVENTS
Communities are encouraged to take part in their own CLT250 celebrations in their neighborhoods, public spaces and parks, colleges and universities, houses of worship and workplaces.
LIST OF CLT250 EVENTS:
- Charlotte's 250th Anniversary Celebration, Monday, Dec. 3, 2018 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. To mark the official anniversary of the city's founding 250 years ago, join your fellow Charlotteans to celebrate the Queen City. Everyone will have an opportunity to enjoy fun activities at libraries, schools and the Square at Trade & Tryon. And, yes there will be cake!
- MLK Parade and Weekend of Events, January 18-21, 2019. Celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, through a series of community events including the Saturday parade, scholarship luncheons at CPCC and Johnson C. Smith University, a wreath-laying ceremony and the McCrorey YMCA Prayer Breakfast.
- Charlotte Shout, May 2019. The yearlong CLT250 celebration will crescendo with Charlotte Shout, a citywide art, music, food, film and innovation festival that promises to become a unique, defining and celebratory event for the city that we all love. The food, music and art will be as diverse and vibrant as those who call Charlotte home.
CLT250 is a community-led engagement in partnership with:
- City of Charlotte
- Arts & Science Council
- Charlotte Center City Partners
- Charlotte Chamber
- Charlotte Regional Partnership
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
- CMS Foundation
- Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority
- Foundation For The Carolinas and corporate leaders
- Atrium Health
- Ally Bank, Barings
- Bank of America
- Duke Energy
- Novant Health
- Wells Fargo
- Wray Ward
For more information about Charlotte's 250th anniversary, visit CLT250.com.