I-85 at WT Harris reopens after protesters shut down roadway

Image 1 of 3

Protesters shut down Interstate-85 at WT Harris Blvd. early Wednesday morning following the shooting death of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott. 

People were spotted stealing boxes from tractor trailers stuck in traffic - and lighting them on fire. 

Related: 1 person killed, 2 injured during protests Wednesday in Uptown Charlotte

According to NCDOT, I-85 was closed in both directions between Exit 43, University City Blvd. and Exit 45, WT Harris Blvd.

The interstate reopened around 4:00 a.m. Wednesday. 

The protest began Tuesday night after a man was shot and killed by police at a northeast Charlotte apartment complex.

RELATED: Officer, shooting victim ID'd in deadly officer-involved shooting in northeast Charlotte

The shooting happened at The Village at College Downs apartment complex in the 9600 block of Concord Road

According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police, officers were searching for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they came across a man inside a vehicle at the apartment complex. They said the man had a gun and threatened the officers.

"He is armed, with a handgun that we found on scene as well...Makes some imminent threat to them and because of that, at least one of our officers fired rounds at the subject,” according to CMPD officers during a press conference.

Scott was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries where he later passed away.

Family members, however paint a different picture. They tell FOX 46 Charlotte that the man was disabled and reading a book in the vehicle while waiting to pick up a child from the school bus.

Detectives said they were able to recover the gun the individual was holding at the time of the shooting and were in the process of interviewing witnesses.

A large crowd of people took to the streets Tuesday surrounding the apartment complex in protest of the shooting. At one point a group of protesters gathered in front of a CMPD cruiser as it was trying to leave the scene and refused to let the vehicle pass.