(FOX NEWS) -A man bit off more than he could chew when he tackled the world's hottest chili, the so-called “Carolina Reaper,” and was left with excruciating headaches.
In the first ever recorded such case, the next few days after eating the veggie the man experienced short splitting pains lasting seconds at a time.
The 34-year-old, who was not identified, had eaten just one of the chilies at a chili eating contest in upstate New York.
Immediately after the competition, he began dry heaving and developed intense neck and head pain starting at the back, which later spread across the whole head.
He then developed crushingly painful headaches and at one point he decided to go to the emergency room.