INDIAN LAND, S.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - UPDATE: The winning Powerball numbers are 44-62-20-37-16. The Powerball is 12.
Lottery officials say the Powerball jackpot for Wednesday's drawing has ballooned to an estimated $750 million, which would be the fourth-largest grand lottery prize in U.S. history.
North Carolinians are crossing the state line into South Carolina to buy lottery tickets for Wednesday night’s Powerball drawing with a $750 million jackpot.
“The reason is South Carolina allows you to be anonymous,” said Manoj Padhak who lives in North Carolina but buys his lottery tickets in South Carolina.
Several months ago someone who bought a ticket in Simpsonville, SC won the second largest jackpot in U.S. history, $1.5 billion playing Mega Millions.
“We’ll have to wait and see if the luck continues,” said Padhak about driving to SC to buy his lottery tickets.
Some feel like the next state over has a bit more magic than NC.
“I think it’s way better than North Carolina, I think I should move here,” said Joe Dalli on South Carolina’s luck in the lottery.
What would you do with $750 million?
“Probably buy some tires for my car, no, I’d look into sending my kids to college,” Dalli said.
Here's a look at the 10 largest U.S. jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, South Carolina)
3. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
4. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
5. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
6. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
7. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
8. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
9. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
10. $559.7 million, Powerball, Jan. 6, 2018 (one ticket, New Hampshire)