NCDOT released a document Tuesday, June 9, stating they would not be able to comply with the resolution adopted by the Town of Cornelius asking that the I-77 Express Lane project be terminated.
NCDOT put the following in bold:
- The provision for potential payment was included in all drafts of the comprehensive agreement
- There is no alternative funding immediately available for general-purpose lanes
- The I-77 Express Lane project provides more choices
- Tolling is a successful model for congestion management throughout the nation and world
- The I-77 Express Lanes project adds significantly more lane miles for the dollar
- The project will add capacity for daily commutes and emergency situations
- The I-77 Express Lanes project will help manage congestion to support economic growth
Many local governments have passed resolutions asking for a delay on the I-77 toll lane project.
Davidson passed a resolution to support the legislative effort to cancel the toll lane project Wednesday night. Next week Mecklenburg County will vote on a resolution asking for the termination of the I-77 toll lane contract.
Huntersville will vote Monday, June 15, to pass a resolution in support of defunding the project.