CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) - On Thursday, more than 890,000 Walmart U.S. associates are receiving a share of more than $560 million total cash bonuses, including:
- More than $160 million in cash bonuses based on their stores’ Q4 performance, and
- More than $400 million in one-time cash bonuses tied to recent changes in tax law.
- In North Carolina, Walmart associates are receiving approximately $19.3 million in combined bonuses.
The bonuses, along with an annual pay raise for their hourly field associates, are included in their March 8 paycheck, Walmart announced.
In January, Walmart announced plans to increase the starting wage for all hourly associates in the U.S. to at least $11, expand maternity and parental leave benefits, and provide a one-time cash bonus for eligible associates of up to $1,000.
A new adoption assistance benefit of $5,000 per child, announced by Walmart in conjunction with the other changes, went into effect on February 1.
Walmart associates earn quarterly bonuses as part of an overall incentive plan designed to reward associates whose stores achieve sales and customer service goals. Hourly associates in North Carolina earned more than $4.7 million, following Q4 comp sales of 2.6 percent in Walmart U.S.
Walmart in North Carolina
Walmart’s recent pay raises are just one part of the company’s local investment and impact. In North Carolina, the company:
- Operates 218 retail units.
- Spent $12.7 billion with local suppliers, supporting 80,000 supplier jobs in 2017.
- Paid more than $124 million in taxes and collected more than $605 million in sales taxes in 2017.