Suspect wanted for assaulting, strangling woman in custody after chase on I-485

A suspect who was thought to possibly be 'armed and dangerous' and was wanted on multiple charges following a chase on I-485 in University City early Wednesday morning is now in custody, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police. 

Around 4 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, officers attempted to stop a vehicle occupied by a domestic violence suspect.

According to CMPD, this individual, identified as Ervin Goode, 28, had been to the victim’s home two times Tuesday night where he reportedly pushed her to the ground, strangling her, and then took her phone while she was trying to call 911. The woman was treated at the scene for minor injuries, police said. 

Officers had obtained warrants for assault by pointing a gun, assault by strangulation, and interfering with emergency communications. 

CMPD officers located the suspect around 4 a.m. traveling along I-485 and attempted to conduct a traffic stop but the suspect refused to stop, and a chase began. The pursuit ended in the 11300 block of Breeze Hill Lane where the suspect then jumped and ran from his vehicle, police said. 

Officers obtained warrants for assault by pointing a gun and assault by strangulation.

K-9 responded in an attempt to locate and track Goode. 

Around 5:30 a.m., officers providing security to the victim spotted Goode and chased him on foot. K-9 responded a second time and located Goode. He is in custody and charges are forthcoming, police said. 

"The men and women of this police department are working their rear ends off, day in and day out. Arrests are up, violent arrests are up, gun seizures are up, engagement's up, the impact they're having on the community is up and there's only so much we can do,” said Rob Tufano with CMPD. 

Neighbors say it's not Goode's first run in with the law. According to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office, he's been arrested seven times. This arrest makes the fourth time this year alone. His prior charges included assault on a female, battery on an unborn child, fleeing from police and gun charges. 

"Somebody along the way is going to have to meet us halfway. You know, police can't do this all on their own,” Tufano said. 

Police say the victim was treated for injuries at the scene but is expected to be okay. No one else was injured during the chase.