SC man dies after firework explodes in his hands, police say

(Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

A man was killed during a fireworks mishap in Cheraw late Wednesday night, according to the Cheraw Police Department. 

The incident happened at 9:50 p.m. in the Dizzy Gillespie apartment complex. Officers were called to the area for a man who had reportedly been hit in the upper torso with fireworks. 

Upon arrival, officers found 24-year-old M.C. Gallion III on the ground and a woman performing CPR on him. Responding officers and EMS took over CPR. Gallion was eventually taken to McLeod Health Cheraw where he was pronounced dead. 

Witnesses told police that Gallion had been holding a cylinder tube in his hands in an attempt to release an aerial type firework. The fireworks reportedly exploded striking Gallion in the upper chest area. 

"I would like to commend the young lady that reacted to this tragic incident and immediately began performing CPR on Mr. Gallion. Although Mr. Gallion did not survive his injuries this young lady made every effort to save his life and for that she should be commended," Chief of Police W. Keith Thomas said. 

An autopsy has been ordered to determine official cause of death.