Suspected gas leak at Avery County college sends multiple students to the hospital

A suspected gas leak has lead to some Lees-McRae students being sent to local hospitals early Friday morning.

A suspected gas leak at Lees-McRae College sent multiple students to the hospital early Friday morning, according to school officials. 

The school sent out a statement via their Facebook page saying that Avery Hall was evacuated Friday morning due to a suspected gas leak. 

Early this morning a suspected gas leak was detected in Avery Residence Hall. Students were evacuated from the building and emergency services were contacted. Some students were transported to local hospitals for observation and treatment. No serious reactions have been reported, but we are taking all measures to ensure wellness and care.

— Lees-McRae College

This story is developing. Check back here on FOX46Charlotte.com for more information as it becomes available.