Tiger Woods takes a break from golf

Tiger Woods posted a statement on his website, tigerwoods.com, Wednesday evening suggesting a leave of absence from competitive golf. The announcement came nearly a week after Woods suffered through 12 holes at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines -- a course where he has logged eight career victories -- before withdrawing and citing back pain.

Woods was out for much of the 2014 season after microdiscectomy surgery in March. He withdrew from the Farmers citing back pain, but said in the statement, "This latest injury is not related to my previous surgery. I am having daily physical therapy and I am feeling better every day."

Woods said only that he would return to tournament golf when ready, emphasizing that he expects to compete at the highest level of the game, but saying that "right now, I need a lot of work on my game."

In his statement, Woods added: "My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf. Like I've said, I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I'm ready, I'll be back."

Woods, 39, has won 79 PGA Tour titles, including 14 major championships, to rank second all-time in both categories.

Earlier this week, Woods fell to No. 62 in the Official World Golf Ranking.

Full story at Fox Sports.