WASHINGTON (FOX 5 DC) - President Trump has said that the FBI and the Department of Justice will review the Jussie Smollett case.
In a tweet Thursday morning, Trump said, “FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!”
In the two months since Jussie Smollett reported a late-night attack by assailants shouting racial and anti-gay slurs, the "Empire" actor and activist went from victim to defendant.
Police and many in the black community rallied to his defense before condemning his account as a hoax.
On Tuesday, Smollett was a defendant no more after prosecutors dropped the criminal case that had loomed over him for weeks. He expressed gratitude to fans and maintained his version of events.
The Associated Press contributed to this article
- Dismissal of Jussie Smollett case brings backlash, more questions |
- 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett indicted on 16 counts stemming from reported attack |
- Advocates worry Jussie Smollett case may deter victims of hate crimes to come forward |
- Officials: Jussie Smollett charged with disorderly conduct for filing false police report |
- Trump says "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett insulted millions with his 'racist and dangerous comments' |
- 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett says account of attack has been consistent |
- Sources: Jussie Smollett paid brothers to fake attack |
- 'Empire' star hospitalized after possible hate crime in Chicago |
- FLASHBACK: "Empire" star Jussie Smollett sings for Good Day DC |