Union County, NC - Two people were arrested this week for allegedly breaking into five churches in Union County.
Union County Sheriff's deputies and officers from the Stallings Police Department arrested Ashley Renee Flowers, 29 and David Ezell Simpson, 65, Monday evening.
They were charged with a string of church break-ins that occurred during the last week of December.
Officials say stereo equipment, televisions, and other electronic items were stolen from the five churches.
The following churches were victims in this string of break ins:
- Trinity Reformed Presbyterian Church, 4914 Sikes Mill Rd, Monroe
- New Hope Baptist Church, 5928 New Salem Rd, Marshville
- Olive Branch Missionary Baptist Church, 9510 Olive Branch Rd, Marshville
- Fairfield Baptist Church, 3129 Hwy 205, Marshville
- Rocky River True Light Church, 2202 Old Fish Rd, Monroe
Simpson has been in legal trouble before. In 2007, a Stallings Police officer encountered Simpson traveling through their jurisdiction, and conducted a traffic stop. During that encounter, the officer was the victim of a serious felony assault, for which Simpson was later convicted. He was found to be in possession of equipment that had just been stolen from area churches on that occasion as well.