CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) -- Security is changing for UNC Charlotte's graduation ceremonies next week following the deadly shooting on campus Tuesday.
For the first time in the university's history, those attending commencement at Harlton Arena May 10-11 will need to go through full body metal detectors, according to UNC Charlotte's police chief.
"It's kind of hard to go outside sometimes wondering if there's going to be another situation of that sort," said Fatima Mohamed, a student at UNCC.
Officials said they had already pallned to have full body metal detectors for graduation before the shooting Tuesday, that claimed the life of two students and injured four others.
Monica Yates' daughter was on campus during the shooting. She was relieved to find out her daughter was safe. Monica's daughter will walk across the stage May 11 with thousands of other graduates.
"She texted me and I'm like what do you mean? And I'm like I need to hear your voice and she calls me and I'm like oh god this is not good," Yates said.
In addition to the full body metal detectors, police said there will be wands at entrances and exits. Attendes are also only allowed to bring in clear bags.
"The times call for this so we have to do what we have to do."