Charlotte, NC - The Union County Sheriff's Office announced Thursday the end of a broad, county-wide undercover alcohol campaign.
The sheriff's office says the campaign took place from April to August 2015. Officials say a 19-year-old went undercover while video and physical surveillance was used as the underage person tried to buy alcohol at 93 places in Union County.
23 of the 93 places sold alcohol to the 19-year-old, according to officials. Criminal charges are pending for these suspects. The charges involved the sale of alcohol or malt beverage to a person that is 19 or 20 and a misdemeanor under the NC law.
Officials say the North Carolina ABC Commission will be told of the violations and the places may face civil penalties. The NC ABC Commission says they have not seen violation reports about the underage campaign yet but when they do they said they will work closely with those involved to make sure their employees understand the law.
3 of the 4 ABC Stores in Union County illegally sold alcohol to the 19-year-old, according to officials. The locations of these ABC stores are Wingate, Indian Trail and Waxhaw. Officials say only the Monroe ABC store checked the ID and refused to sell the alcohol.
The campaign revealed the following:
- None of the three Marshville stores attempted sold to the underage person.
- In Indian Trail, only 2 of the 16 stores attempted sold alcohol. One of these was the ABC Store.
- In Wingate, 4 of 7 stores attempted sold alcohol to the underage person. One of these locations was the ABC Store.
- In Stallings, 4 of the 8 locations attempted sold alcohol to the underage person.
- In Wesley Chapel, 2 of the 4 locations attempted sold alcohol to the underage person.
- In Hemby Bridge, only one store was attempted and did not sell to the underage person.
- In Weddington, 1 of the 2 stores attempted sold alcohol to the underage person.
- In Waxhaw, 3 of the 12 locations attempted sold alcohol to the underage person. One of these was the ABC Store.
- In Monroe, only 7 of the 40 locations attempted sold alcohol to the underage person.
Locations alleged to have sold alcohol to the underage person:
1. Marathon – 2303 Morgan Mill Road, Monroe, NC
2. Walgreens – 1933 Dickerson Blvd, Monroe, NC
3. Takara – 2515 W. Roosevelt Blvd, Monroe, NC
4. Walgreens – 5455 Potter Road, Stallings, NC
5. Market Express 3 – 2824 Old Monroe Road, Stallings, NC
6. Indian Trail ABC Store – 5880 Suite 20, US 74, Indian Trail, NC
7. Market Express – 6732 Old Monroe Road, Indian Trail, NC
8. Gate – 14622 W. Lawyers Rd, Stallings, NC
9. Express Mart – 3826 Hwy 74 East, Wingate, NC
10. College Mart – 101 S. Main Street, Wingate, NC
11. Raceway Amoco 2 – 4005 Highway 74 East, Wingate, NC
12. Wingate ABC Store – 4104 East Highway 74, Wingate, NC
13. Harris Teeter – 13639 Providence Road, Weddington, NC
14. Walgreens – 5975 Weddington Road, Wesley Chapel, NC
15. Harris Teeter – 1351 Chestnut Lane Stallings, NC
16. Duey’s Stop and Shop 4 – 315 W. Main Street Waxhaw, NC
17. Waxhaw ABC Store – 1305 N. Broome Street Waxhaw, NC
18. Fill Good – 2538 Cuthbertson Road, Waxhaw, NC
19. Hickory Tavern – 6400 Monroe Weddington Road, Wesley Chapel, NC
20. Kangaroo – 1804 Morgan Mill Road, Monroe, NC
21. Sunny Food – 1800 Walkup Ave, Monroe, NC
22. Food Lion – 801 East Roosevelt Boulevard, Monroe, NC
23. Marathon – 2303 Morgan Mill Road, Monroe, NC