Woman now homeless after fatal fire

"They are the best neighbors and they were the same age as my kids. They are my kids and they both called me mom," said Linda Bocanegra.

Bocanegra moved nextdoor and has been sharing the duplex with the couple for three years. 

"We spent a lot of time together and it's sad," she said. 

According to Bocanegra, the fire ignited in the kitchen after the wife was cooking. 

RELATED: 1 dead, 1 hospitalized after fire breaks out in Gaston Co. duplex

"They are wonderful people. You never heard a cuss word of anyone of them. They didn't drink or smoke. They were homebodies just like me. We would sit out in the yard and grill," said Bocanegra. 

Although Linda is thankful she wasn't home at the time of the fire, she now too is displaced and looking for a new place to call home. 

"It's very scary. I help the homeless and now I know ow the feels, hopeless," she said.