Some school districts in our area are closed or are operating under a delayed schedule Thursday, March 8 due to winter weather. App users click here.
To be ready for winter weather:
- Dress warmly for the cold. Wear multiple layers of thin clothing instead of a single layer of thick clothing.
- Keep alternative heating sources and fire extinguishers on hand. Be sure your family knows how to use them.
- Properly vent kerosene heaters and keep electric generators outside and away from open windows or doors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Do not burn charcoal or use a grill indoors.
- Use a NOAA Weather Radio or monitor local news media for changing weather conditions.
- Keep fresh batteries on hand for weather radios and flashlights.
- If your pipes are uninsulated, keep faucets open to a slow drip to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep pets inside, out of the cold.
- Download the ReadyNC app for more winter weather preparedness information.